MK Issawi Frej is 51 years old, lives in Kafr Qasim with his wife Nihaiya and has seven children. He graduated from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem with a B.A in accounting and economics, and is an accountant. He has been a member of Meretz (and Ratz) for 25 years.
MK Frej has been politically active in the following roles and activities:
• Served as a member of the 19th Knesset in the economy, education and culture committees, as well as a stand-in representative in the Finance Committee and in the special committee established for the legislation of the new Israel Public Broadcasting Corporation.
• Chairman of the Lobby for Sport.
• Submitted a private member’s bill to incorporate the Arabic language as an integral part of the national school syllabus.
• Campaigned to oblige public institutions to invest at least 10% of their publicity budget in publications in the Arabic language.
• Drafted legislation obligating the Israel Broadcasting Authority to represent various discourses of Arab society in its broadcasts.
• Submitted a private member’s bill mandating that compensation for victims of the “price tag policy” will be at a comparable level to that granted to victims of terror acts.
• Filed a motion (along with Adv. Gabi Leski) to the High Court of Justice against the appointment of the racist rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu to the role of Chief Rabbi of Israel.
• Initiated the “Kiruv Levavot” legislation mandating biannual meetings between pupils of different religions.
• Promoted the establishment of the centre for the heritage of Arab society in Israel.