MK Ilan Gilon joined the Hashomer Hatzair movement in the sixth grade and has continued on to serve as the head of Mapam Youth coordinator. MK Gilon has been serving as the chairman of the Meretz Parliamentary Group since 2009. He lives in Ashdod with his wife, Yehudit, and has four children and six grandchildren.
MK Gilon has been politically engaged in the following:
• Leading the introduction of the Equal Rights for Persons with Disabilities Law, 5758-1998, which has improved the lives of a million and a half Israelis.
• Serving as the head of the Knesset Subcommittee for the Regulations for Equal Rights for the Handicapped Law since 2009, where he approved hundreds of regulations encompassing all aspects of life.
• Setting into motion the implementation of the Public Housing (Purchasing Rights) Law, 5758-1998 after a long hiatus to combat misuse of public housing allocations.
• Closing private psychiatric institutions whilst putting an end to cases of abuse therein.
• Blocking the Wisconsin plan to privatise the Employment Service.
• Taking part in many social campaigns, including those launched against the closure of the Arad Towels factory, against the eviction of residents of the Giva’at Amal neighbourhood in Tel-Aviv, and against Pri Hagalil’s intention to close its factories in Hatzor Haglilit and render its staff redundant.
• Winner of the Akim Israel award and the Society for Patients Rights in Israel award.
• Chairman of the Lobby for Equality in Health, of the Lobby for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and co-chairman of the Housing Lobby.